Monday, July 4, 2011

Candles for Her

For this poem I took a phrase (the candles shed their tears on the table) and wrote a paragraph about it. Then I broke the sentences apart and put it in poem form and changed a few things so it flows nicely. I imagine a man in a small home, almost like a cottage, all alone on a rainy night. It's kind of sad, but I like this poem because of the emotion that I've attempted to portray.



Candles for Her
The polished table mirrored
crackling flame of the small fire.
Five candles rested gently
shedding their tears onto the dark table.
Tears mimicking the man sitting
at the table with head in hands,
shoulders convulsing with grief.
A broken picture frame held a small girl
on the man’s younger shoulders.
Glass shards glimmered at the edge
of the room from the metal frame
beneath the crack in the wall.
All fell apart
and all maintained this love
from the man to his daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment